Nuffnang Ad

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Captain Yang's 21st


It has been almost 3 weeks after JY's birthday party. I was kinda stressed up (or extremely?) over this long-awaited party for him as he isn't those party guy. He is an introvert, he isn't a good host due to his poor initiative skills. Haha I'm not pointing out his negative points, it's just HIM.

Yours truly decided to step in & assist this birthday guy by planning from nothing to something. Trust me, throwing a successful party/planning process is one of the arduous task in the world. Those perfectionist who managed to plan a smooth party will understand my "pain". Sad to say that JY used to think that organizing a party is effortless, till we quarreled for umpteen times over his 21st party...

Anyhow, this post serves as a purpose of reminiscing the wonderful birthday party as well as a rough guide for those who are about to start the process of planning a tedious party.


1) Venue: 

Orchard Hotel Singapore, Premier Suite @ $540 (including ++) on a Saturday night

Book your desired venue early, be it a chalet or hotel room/suite. It's better to be kiasu than sorry. Moreover, JY belongs to the June babies, venue is the most troublesome part of the entire planning. WHAT IS THIS. Everybody's taking up all the chalet slots way before you thought of organizing your party. (That's the reason why I started to visualise my 21st party last year) If you wish to throw your party in some well-known venue, by all means call them and reserve your slots before others do. FYI, most hotels in Singapore has Early bird promotion (more discount given for 30 days in advance) so you're killing 2 birds with 1 stone: Securing your venue at lower cost.

Mr Soon Hui Ling. Hoteliers have the tendency to address their guests by Mr. It's more appropriate than addressing a male as Ms...

Spacious Premier Suite 105sqm


2) Food Caterer:

Orange Clove (sister company of NeoGarden) @ $12++/pax

A party isn't complete without the buffet spread. Initially I wanted to choose Meihao, due to the unconfirmed number of pax attending, I could only send in my order 3 days before the event and their business was so favourable to the extent where they had to reject my order. Fortunately, they got back to me pretty fast, less than 12 hours so I had the chance of switching to Plan B, Orange Clove. JY disagreed with my decision originally due to the budget we had. I told him firmly that I can't bring myself to take a risk for FOOD. What if the food caterer is irresponsible in delivering the spread? What if the food isn't as appetizing as what we thought it would be? What if our friends didn't fill their stomach with good food? I'd rather spend $50ish more to get a TRUSTED & good quality food. No point saving your $50 when quality > quantity. Anyway we are glad that my decision is right, I feel that the buffet spread is the highlight of his party.



DIY food toppers created by the awesome~


3) Cake:

Customized cake from Bakeboutiquebakery 

Huge thanks to CF for introducing her friend's bakeboutiquebakery (as for now she only accepts orders from friends, mutual ones and relatives). She kindly accepted my last minute request with a pretty low budget for cake! This is the difference between both of us, I NEED a customized pretty cake for my party while JY is fine with a simple cake from neighbourhood bread shops. I mean, people always snap pictures of YOU making wish infront of your cake, you should get a desired cake design of yours!


Thank you HT for the pleasant-looking cake to suit JY's birthday theme, alongside with the 6 cupcakes :)

As for the rest (theme, guestlist, decorations etc...), it's up to individuals to decide as there isnt a perfect guide for these! 

Last but not least...... sit back & enjoy the party!

 Complimentary wine, snacks and fruits from Orchard Hotel

Grasping the complimentary treat for a high-tea set with mummy

 Selfie stick is the new kick
(Am loving JY's smile right here!)


 Trying to hide the selfie stick HAHAHA





 Party isn't complete without the presence of your friends! :)
Special thanks to the Decorating Team for creating such a flawless party, you know who you are!

Missing both my bro & sis here! 

Happy (belated) 21st birthday, one of the most important guy in my life~

Next day:

I'm always loving hotel room beds, they seem to be more comfy compared to mine. HAHA probably with the ongoing air-con that makes it more comfortable :p

Happy boy with a hearty breakfast

How to create huge foams in bathtub? I HAVE NO IDEA.
Sincerely yours from somebody-who-doesnt-own-a-bathtub

Never felt so awesome waking up right in your arms :')
(Although I always face the opposite side HAHAHA)

41 comments:

  1. Hi! Im thinking of hosting my birthday at Orchard Hotel's premier suite as well, is the room decently nice? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the room is spacious and suitable for mini birthday parties (Imo), preferably less than 35pax?

      FYI, I requested for a pre-tour of the premier suite after my reservation as I needed to plan for the decorations wise so yeh they are more than willing to let you view the suite before your actual arrival :)

      Hmm the only downside is the Executive Lounge? Their breakfast spread is extremely limited & the high-tea set is... pretty disappointing too.

      Delete
    2. Oh and I requested from their Banquet department to deliver 10 chairs for my guests at no additional charge! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! May i know if the hotel did actually allow catered food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They dont allow outside catering (with tables, warmer etc) but you can opt for takeaway buffet style from your caterer like how I did :)

      Delete
    2. so you got them to deliver it to the hotel too? haha having mine at orchard hotel too next month so this was helpful! thank you :)

      Delete
    3. Yes! They waited for me at the hotel's lobby entrance and i brought all the food to our suite at ease :) happy birthday in advance and enjoy your stay!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm thinking of hosting my 21st birthday party in the premier suite as well. May i ask how many people is at your party? Do you think the hotel management would allow around 30pax in the suite? (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, the total number of pax whom attended the party is approximately 30? The hotel is aware of my party and there wasn't any restrictions though. I guess as long as there isn't any complaints after 11pm, it should be fine :)

      And i even requested from the banquet dept to deliver additional chairs for my guests and they accommodated to my request!

      Delete
  4. Oh ok. Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! May I know if you book the hotel through the main website or through agoda? I couldn't find the room type through agoda though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I booked the premier suite through the hotel's official website. Orchard hotel only has 4 premier suites in total so i guess they dont ask 3rd party for assistance to sell their premier suites. If you want, just book through their main website! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi! Does the hotel/hotel room gives off a very traditional chinese vibe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm these are my personal opinions.

      1. Hotel
      the interior design gives a little traditional chinese vibe as the female front desk receptionists are wearing cheongsum.

      2. Hotel room (in this case, premier suite)
      No it doesnt really have the vibe though! :)

      3. Hotel room's corridor
      Yessss it absolutely have the traditional chinese vibe. They showed me the room to their signature suite and the traditional chinese vibe is there at their corridors though!

      Delete
  7. Hi! Will you recommend the premier suite for a birthday party such as your bf? You mentioned that you did a pre-tour after reservation, may I know if it is possible for a pre-tour before reservation? May I know if you've any other hotels in mind before deciding this hotel? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I would recommend the premier suite as i've done intense research on Singapore 21st Bday parties at hotel room. I almost wanted to book the Furama Riverfront's Executive suite (56sqm) for ~$400 after taxes. It was an affordable deal but then i'm afraid that the suite will be pretty run-down due to the interior design. The other alternative suite would be Amara Sanctuary Resort but it would cost at least $500ish on a Saturday night for >70sqm suite. Moreover, i wouldn't recommend throwing a party at Amara Sentosa as they forbid parties after 7pm.

      After chancing upon Orchard Hotel premier's suite, it is definitely the best choice to accommodate approximately 30 pax at ~$600 after taxes on a Saturday night. However, do bear in mind that their complimentary high tea and breakfast are kinda disappointing as the Executive Lounge has very limited food variety. Other than that, you can just grab some drinks from the lounge for your party (i did it discreetly)!

      I'm not too sure about pre-tour before reservation. Maybe you can call them up and check with them instead? Do let me know if they allow this also haha so next time I can recommend to my friends as well! :D

      Delete
    2. Opps i mean i paid $540 after gst and taxes for this premier suite, not ~$600!

      Delete
    3. Hi! You can actually view the hotel room before reservation. Just have to give the hotel a call before heading down on the day to check if the room is available for viewing :)

      Delete
    4. Wow thats good! Luckily they allow this privilege for prospects! Thanks many for the info ;)

      Delete
  8. Hi! Did you request for early check in and late book out? Did the hotel management give you the same room that you viewed during pre-tour? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I only requested for late check-out. The initial check-out time was 12noon so I managed to haggle till 1 or 2pm (i can't remember).

      The front desk officer brought me to another type of room (the smaller suite) during my pre-tour session with them! It seemed pretty useless but yeh.

      Delete
  9. Hello! Helpful post you had! But I would like to know which menu did you pick from Orange clove? Thanks(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose the mini asian buffet menu A under their drop-off buffet! :)

      Delete
  10. Hi, can i ask when was the birthday celebration held? Did you all make a lot of noise and received complains? I'm intending to hold my friend's birthday party there but am afraid of the noise level and complains etc. It will be a mood killer. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birthday celebration was held on 7 June 2014. Hmm I don't really remember the level of noise but we didn't receive any complains at all. We were playing poker during wee hours and we have no problem with that! I guess if you guys aren't those who will scream and shout constantly it should be okay! Anyway, I got the first suite nearest to the lift so I guess the location didn't affect my neighbours :)

      Delete
    2. Oh okay. Around how many people stayed over and how did u get the guests to go up to the suite? In separate small groups? For the pre-tour, did you tell the management that u guys were going to hold a birthday party? Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your help a lot. :D

      Delete
    3. No worries, just ask whatever you're unsure of! I'll try my best to answer each of them!

      Hmm approximately 6-10 people stayed over during the wee hours. The guests arrive in small groups though. but I believe if you bring a large group up to the suite lvl they should be okay! Because they know that I'm organizing a party in my suite and the officers didn't seem to worry about the noise lvl haha. So based on my experience 6 months ago, the Orchard hotel is okay with parties. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi! I'll be having my birthday celebration at this hotel and I chanced upon your post. Do you by any chance know the measurements of the table as I'm thinking of getting table clothes? Thankyou! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you for your query. There are 2 tables (A round and rectangle sized), and I remembered that the round dining table is quite huge, so I won't recommend buying a table cloth for that table.

      Whereas for the rectangle-sized (the one I used it for buffet food), the length is approximately 1.5m? breadth wise it is quite short.

      Hope this clarifies! :)

      Delete
  12. Hello! your post was very helpful for people opting for Orchard Hotel! :D Can I ask for your opinion if you think 45 people would be too cramped for the premier suite? thanks so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, i'm flattered! :) Hmm recently i attended my friend's 21st bday held at the same suite, 45 people should not be a problem but it will be slightly cramp and it'll be harder to maintain the noise level haha.

      Delete
  13. Hi babe, can I ask if there are any sofa beds in the premier suite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Hmm unfortunately, there arent any sofa beds in the premier suite. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  14. hello, would like to ask if you have to give a before hand notice to the hotel before you have any parties?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This depends on individuals though. The hotel didn't specify it but personally I decided to inform the reservations manager as I require the additional chairs from banquet team. If you are hosting a small party, I don't think it is necessary to inform them unless you need special request.

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see , because I called the hotel , to enquire if they could provide me with a table . The person replied that party was not allowed :/

    You inform them after you book the room ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i informed them after i booked the suite online. I guess their policies might have changed as im aware that they no longer provide banquet chairs when i helped my friend to book the suite last year February....

      Or probably they have gone stricter and prohibits party already.

      Delete
  17. I see . Then last year can you still bring in take away buffet ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was still feasible back then. Not sure about now though!

      Delete