Nuffnang Ad

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tim Ho Wan


I've been browsing pictures, reviews and instagram on Tim Ho Wan's food & I AM REALLY TEMPTED TO TRY THEIR DIM SUM, but....
Imagine seeing this kind of queue infront of a restaurant that holds up to 80-seats.

Do you still wanna try? It's like you have to stand for 2 hours to try dimsum when you're drooling so badly while watching others through that glass window. & the day has arrived... Requested my brother to queue for me @ 5pm+ and that I will find him after my work ends. 

ESTIMATED WAITING TIME FOR DINNER: 1.5 to 2 hours

Snapped this picture while waiting for our turn. QUITE NICE RIGHT (although the grass look kinda fake)

& Whoosh we are ushered to the seats! LE HAPPY, it's like bringing your kid to a playground.

Their choices are kind of limited compared to Swee Choon / Wan Dou Sek, so don't expect much variety from them. 

Starting with the 2 most popular dishes, Prawn Dumpling ($5.50)

& Pork Dumpling with Shrimp ($5)

As i'm a fan of Dim Sum, I've tried quite a number of these 2 and I can say there's nothing special about it. Just normal fresh shrimps, common skin & pork you'll find compared to other restaurants.

Pan Fried Carrot Cake ($4.50)

Not recommended. IMO, I don't think it's nice and the standard isn't really there. 

Beancurd Skin Roll with Shrimp ($5.50)

Im not a fan of beancurd, so I didn't manage to try this dish but my brother & mum love it.

Chicken Feet with Black Bean Sauce ($4)

Same for this, I don't like chicken feet but I guess this should taste normal just like any other place.

Rice with Chicken Feet & Pork Rib ($6)

Dad ate this & he complaint (to us) that this isn't nice. Just plain white rice with Chicken feet & Pork Rib.

Spring Roll with Egg White ($4.20)

I love this! It's freaking crispy as you can depict from the picture shown. & there's the usual ingredients you'll find in Spring Roll but there's additional Egg white!!! As a fan of egg, it's definitely a PLUS for me :)
DID YOU SEE IT?! Are you drooling now Egg-lovers? 

Vermicelli Roll with Shrimp ($5.50)

Nothing special about the sauce, nothing special but the shrimp. We ordered 1 plate of Shrimp and BBQ Pork. I only love the skin as it's soft!

Glutinous Rice Dumpling ($5)

Recommended! The rice isn't hard at all, let me show you more pictures!
Look at how sticky the rice and meat is!
The portion of the meat is a lump, great in terms of value. So $5 for this dish is definitely worth it!

& the highlight of the meal...
Baked Bun with BBQ Pork ($4.50)!!!

I'm totally in love with their Pork Bun a.k.a. Char Siew Pau! Everybody is talking about this SPECIAL PAU that is really yummy and I decided to try it! Firstly, the chinaware used is kinda presentable, this point itself already added a point to the appearance of the food. Secondly, the quality is really up there, shall show you more pictures!
Did you see how crispy the skin is?
Their BBQ Pork fills up the Bun fully okay, there's a lump of BBQ Pork with every bite I take!

Other than the crispy baked bun, their BBQ Pork is really soft and tender, which is different from their competitors. Some Char Siew (Pork) is quite hard and I have a hard time using toothpick after my meal to get rid of the small bits of meat stuck onto my teeth. People who loathe eating meat due to this reason should consider trying this Char Siew Pau! The meat is really soft & I assure you that there won't be any bits of meat stuck onto your teeth. Caution: You MAY get addicted to this Pau. I tried one and decided to eat 2 MORE HAHA

Conclusion? I think the food isn't worth to queue for the estimated waiting time. If there's another chance whereby I wanna dine @ Tim Ho Wan, I wouldn't queue for it. I'll just takeaway Char Siew Pau and Spring Roll with Egg White. If i'm hungry until I can swallow a goat, I'll order Glutinous Rice Dumpling as well. 

Money wise? Not worth it. I've stated all the prices for the dishes and GST cum SERVICE CHARGE isn't included YET. It cost $80.27 for 4. The drinks are expensive as well, but not as pricey as the Thai restaurant I posted previously. 

P.S. Their takeaway counter is ALWAYS closed so don't bother to even think about taking away. I wonder when will the queue stop so that there is sufficient manpower to handle the takeaway counter. I'm waiting for that day to arrive and Plaza Singapura shall be my 2nd favourite place to hang out!!!

Details:
68 Orchard Road
#01-29A Plaza Singapura
Tel: 62512000 
Opening hours: 10am to 10pm daily

Call me a big-eater, i'm heading down to Wan Dou Sek tomorrow after work to satisfy cravings with JY. YES DIMSUM AGAIN. I kept telling myself it's okay to eat because every Sunday I will swim to burn the fats gained. I KNOW IT'S NOT TRUE BUT I WANT TO DECEIVE MYSELF OK? Don't stop me :P

I hope that i'll be able to wear sleeveless again, CONFIDENTLY. HAHAHA :(

No comments:

Post a Comment